|If you will be part of the Otter Raft in 2016-2017, please join us on April 14th for a mandatory parent meeting at 6:30pm at the BSEC (53 PPW)Parents, we are coming to the end of our Scouting year in June. With three of our five current leaders, as well as several den parents and parent volunteers, moving up to Timberwolves in the coming year, the Otter Raft welcomes new leaders and newparent support for our upcoming year! Our Chipmunk leaders are also moving into Otters, so we also welcome parents of younger siblings (pre-school aged) who would like to ensure this program continues in 2016.
If you are returning to the Otter Raft in September, 2016, or if you are joining us for the first time with a child entering grades K through 2, please plan to join us at 6:30pm on Thursday, April 14th.
At this meeting, we will talk about:
- Becoming an assistant Otter Raft leader – you get to wear the hat AND spend time making this great group even more special for your Otter!
- Becoming a Chipmunk leader! We will need parents of younger siblings under 5 to volunteer in order to continue this program next year
- Helping out at meetings as a den parent, craft parent, music parent, etc
- Helping behind the scenes to plan outings, camps and community events, or just to help us manage our paperwork, website and calendars
- Opportunities for adults to get more involved in Scouting – including getaway training weekends for leaders
We would also like to assess the size of the Raft for the upcoming year, and decide whether or not we need a second Otter group to accommodate. We recently opened a second Timberwolf pack to meet our community size needs, and hope to be able to grow the Otter program in time as well – but we need parent help to do it! 5th Brooklyn Scouts (and our parent organization, B-PSA) is a non-profit group, and therefore relies on volunteer parent help as a co-operative organization.
Please join us at 6:30pm on April 14th at the Brooklyn Society for Ethical Culture (53 Prospect Park West) for our annual Otter Parent Planning Meeting! Otters are also welcome to join, and will be encouraged to play games outside for the hour of the meeting.